Thursday 5 December 2013

My Father Has Dementia and I Ramble - a Lot!

It’s been an interesting bunch of months.  My Dad had colon cancer surgery about eighteen months ago.  It was a successful operation.

The mechanic who performed the surgery did a bang-up job.  All the disconnecting of hoses here and re-attaching of hoses there was done exactly according to the manual found in my father’s glove box.  I have a buddy who’s a marine mechanic and I’m awed by his ability around a specialized piece of mechanics too.

Unlike a marine mechanic though, the medical community has another aspect to their repair work.  They call it algiatry and it’s all about pain medicine and walking up the pain ladder for managing analgesia.

The white-coated cult has embraced this.  It’s become sacrosanct in their rituals to the point where this actual branch of medicine exists and medication has become of utmost importance.  I guess it’s been a natural progression.  As a species we’ve been looking for the magic pill almost since the beginning of civilization.  Cultures from all over time and place have enlisted sorcerers, witch doctors or medicine men; all of which utilized potions in the course of their healing rituals.

Today’s rituals however have morphed into a multi-billion dollar business with scientifically derived pharmaceuticals designed to mask the symptoms of myriad ailments that we succumb to.  We are so scientifically acute these days that we even have pharmaceuticals available for some syndromes or conditions that we’re not even sure are real.

Typically at this point you would be reaching to grasp your agape mouth in horror knowing that I’m about to expectorate some wacko left-wing political rant.  You know what I mean, something about the suspect history or origin of some of the pharmaceutical companies or their questionable economic and patent ethics or how they won’t reduce the cost of their lifesaving voodoo to help out in the third world or how they have gone about coercing the white-coated cult members to act as pushers for them in the name of ethics, or that our whole western lifestyle has been kidnapped by greed capitalists, including the pharmaceutical companies and white coat cult, and is now designed to keep people buying junk and being “sick” and programmed to run to the medicine man looking for a pill to cure what has taken a lifetime of abuse to accumulate – but no, I’m just not going to go there.

This is about my Dad dammit.

So they loaded Dad up on medication after the surgery.  They had to.  Not only is it the only humane thing to do they’re ethically bound to it right?

He started having visual and auditory hallucinations immediately after re-gaining consciousness.  Now as I may have demonstrated already, I ain’t no fan of the allopathic snake oil salesman.  Hell, I won’t even walk by a med-school if I don’t have to, but it’s as clear to me as the bubble-packed pharmaceutical cocktails that both my parents ingest daily, that this state has continued to manifest itself until ultimately it has taken him over in the form of Alzheimer’s or as they have recently diagnosed, Lewy Body Dementia.

My mother remains sharp.  She’s always been sharp and has always been keenly aware of her own needs.  I think by definition she's more egocentric than narcissistic but regardless her opinions have always been of utmost importance.  Don’t get me wrong; I love her a lot and she is a great mom and nothing means more to her than her kids.  She just happens to have a truckload of textbook egocentric traits.
 
If I were an expert in such things I’d be able to tell you what character traits are important in someone who is ultimately going to end up the primary caregiver for a person with dementia.  I don’t think egocentric tendencies would be anywhere on the list.

Fifty-three years ago, I gained membership to a small club of remarkable individuals.  I have four incredible siblings and unlike the horror story that you often hear about family deterioration as parent’s age, this group has solidified into a cohesive, contributive and interested team.

My Dad is one of the sweetest guys I’ve ever known.  He seems to have no obvious negative traits whatsoever except for that one tiny aspect that allowed him to be domineered, hen-pecked, kept under the thumb of, guilted, bossed around and blustered by my aforementioned Mother.
 
I don’t remember my father ever having a conflict with anyone else…ever.  Maybe this example will shed some light on his character.  In 1969 his business went bankrupt for $4,000 most probably because his pride wouldn’t allow him to reach out to anyone for help.  It was short sighted and stupid yes but it was an incredible show of honour.  It had an enormous impact on all of his children, added to an already burgeoning family constellation and probably made more than a few therapists wealthy (just from me alone) but so goes the manifestation of one's ignorant pride.

My siblings and myself will do anything for my father to help him through this.  We hate to see him entering into this thing but we are rallying to his aid.  This is made all the more difficult when the primary caregiver is having a difficult time seeing through the trees.  We need to keep reminding ourselves that she’s dealing with this stuff for the first time too and I’m sure we will eventually negotiate things to the point where we’re all on the same page.

Patience is an issue of mine lately.  Actually, patience has always been an issue of mine and it’s waning ever more these days, especially in regard to my tolerance for certain (and by certain I mean – most) aspects of modern-day humanity.
 
Take for instance my ability to listen to people of relative privilege, piss and moan about the banal difficulties of life in this place we’ve somehow congregated in.  The way I figure it, unless you’re living on the streets or a member of the working poor then here in Canada, you’re living a life of relative privilege.  If we’re going to be forced into living within this archaic man-created system of artificial political boundaries, gathered into some kind of patriotic tribal existence then living in this particular tribe is a pretty good gig.

It’s really been an eye opener discovering how many social services are available to help us through this ordeal with my Dad.  Bearing in mind of course, that my parents live in a different segregated grouping than I do.  I’m basing this opinion on the services they are eligible to receive.  The smaller segregated division where I live is called Quebec.  Their smaller segregated division is called Ontario.  Apparently the services for my particular tribe are vastly different than theirs.
 
This may sound strange to some people, especially those that come from other segregated patriotic groupings far away from here and have more experience with people that spend most of their time, everyday, trying to find enough food to keep on living - but a number of people of relative privilege in the smaller patriotically divided area that I live in is trying to secede from the larger artificially divided area.  Oh and in order to attempt to do this they’re spending millions and millions and millions of dollars.  I know, I know…it’s hard to understand why they would do this when people here and from away are in dire need of this money that they’re spending on this perplexing issue, just so that they can try and deal with their eating enough to stay alive issue.

I’ve never really understood all of this as it’s always appeared as though there is enough of these things called dollars to make sure everyone has enough to eat.  But there certainly seems to be something going on that impedes this from happening.

Opps, distracted again, what…er…um...

Oh yeah, social services and all that.  I’m the power-of-attorney and power-of-care alternate after my Mother so I’ve taken on a bit of a lead in this process.  This has included developing a relationship with Community and Primary Health Care (CPHC) in Brockville and the Coordinator of my Father’s case, Maria.  Wow, you talk about a reaffirmation in humanity.  This individual is a joy to be associated with.  She knows what she’s doing makes a difference and she gets to see it in real-time everyday and I think this must be what drives her to be so freakin good at doing it.

It seems that the primary mandate these days when dealing with the elderly is keeping people at home for as long as possible.  Beyond the obvious economic benefit of doing this as a society, it keeps people where they are comfortable and best capable of continuing to be functional humans.  No longer is there this idea that as an elderly person you just reach a point where it becomes your time to jump into the queue to wait for whatever the next dimension holds for us.  This progressive thinking started in the artificially divided area called The Netherlands.  Notice how most of the really progressive social thinking comes from here or that other amalgam of artificially divided areas called Scandinavia.  If we’re going to stick with this capitalism thing, I would like to just go ahead and nominate The Netherlands and Scandinavia as joint-CEO of the world.


Okay, I’m going to try and finish this excessively rambling post with some sort of serious point.  My Dad needs to be stimulated as much as possible these days to ward off the demons in his mind.  The best way for him to be stimulated is to be active.  To just get out and do stuff.  He’s never been a social guy so this is really difficult.  So we push him to be social and he pushes back because he’s shy and we push because it helps him stay sharp.  It’s really unrealistic for us to expect him to become social at this late station but we we’re not going to give him any option.  We kinda like having him around.

No comments:

Post a Comment