Tuesday 7 January 2014

Music at Last

I used to be such a pretentious knob.  Get it?  That’s a joke.  The punch line exists in the use of past tense.  I guess when you think about it, it’s almost impossible to have opinions about things and not assume that yours are more dignified or important than others.  And so we go through life formulating and believing our own preconceptions about things.  Thankfully though, I’m blessed with the assurance that my opinions are indeed the correct ones (this is another joke).

I’m pretentiously judgmental about a ton of stuff.  Possibly you can empathize; I automatically judge someone when they walk by with a Tim Horton’s coffee.  In a food shop (notice I didn’t say grocery store), I’m judgey Jerry at the checkout line as I survey the carts ahead of me for their deadly contents; inching my nose ever higher every time something processed hits the conveyor.  You can just imagine what runs through my head at the sight of someone ordering a commercial domestic beer and heaven help the character of those who happen to be laying on a beach reading anything with the words “shades” or “grey” or the like on it.

But the one thing that over-arched all my other pretensions were the opinions I held about my music.  And when I say my music, it is just that.  I have claimed and assumed it as my own and have eventually grown to be defined by it.

I have always liked different sounds.  Very early on I tended toward the more obscure.  In 1974 when I was fourteen, I purchased my very first album.  It was bought, like many more to follow, from Reliable - a combination furniture and record store (I know right?) in Brockville.  It was a release I had heard from the German band Triumvirat titled Illusions on a Double Dimple.  It cost five dollars (you could buy five albums for $25 taxes-in back then) and the album cover featured a pure white lab rat climbing out of a white egg on a solid white background.  It was an hour of pure electronic progressive rock music fun and I spun it until it was scratched and the grooves flattened beyond playability.  While I’m writing this, I’m streaming it, having probably not heard it in thirty years yet I know every note, tempo change and lyric like it was yesterday.  Music is fucking awesome!

Triumvirat – Mr. Ten Percent

So there I went, busting through the doors of Reliable, Triumvirat in hand having taken the first knuckle-dragging step in what was to be a long and continual musical evolution.

Allow me but a brief, almost pertinent diversion.  Brockville’s retail record situation was, I think, kind of unique.  We had a Sam the Record Man downtown that was locally owned and awesome.  They wrapped their albums in plastic sleeves and you could buy used ones and do the same at home.  All the really cool audiophiles did this.  It somehow denoted a reverence to the device that provided the sounds and as it turned out it really did help protect not only the quality of the cover but also the fragile disk inside from dust.  Eventually one of those mall record stores opened up, the name of which escapes me and then we had Brockville Floor and Wall.  So in one small city you had a combination furniture/record store and a combination flooring/paint/record store.  I never really thought about it before but for some reason it seems oddly worthy of note.

If you’re like me, you’ll remember clearly those days?  Remember the excitement of buying a brand new album and rushing home, unwrapping it and laying it down on the turntable for the very first time.  I remember the unbelievable clarity of sound when that stylus hit those brand new petroleum grooves.  Nothing has ever compared to that fidelity.  The whole process was so perfectly ritualistic.

This is going to sound exactly that way we all promised ourselves we weren’t going to sound, but kids today just don’t get what we went through when we bought music.  Unless you had heard the album at a friends place chances are you wouldn’t have any experience with it.  This was fine if the band was a known entity but if you were prone to experimentation, well that proved a conundrum.  If the music was commercial enough you may have picked up a cut or two on the radio but remember radio stations offering any diversity were virtually non-existent.  CFJR, the local station, with the tag line – A Thousand Watts that Sounds Like a Million, had a single DJ, Gene Schimitz that would on very rare occasion play something of interest.  On certain nights when the conditions were just right and if you were really fine with your tuning skills you could sometimes pick up CHOM-FM from Montreal.  Oh man those were special nights.  Hell, CHEZ 106 from Ottawa, which was the first rock station that you could consistently bring in didn’t begin operation until 1977.  So in essence every time you bought an album it was taking a bit of a risk.

I had a couple of early conspirators and influences in my journey – Joey and Dave.  Dave was especially influential early on in inviting us into the club and directing Joe and I toward the more obscure of sound makers.  We started out slowly, leaning to some big heavy, primarily British sounds like Led Zep (of course), Be Bop Deluxe, Jo Jo Gunn, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Manfred Mann and Rainbow.  Once into it though, I quickly grew my chops and began to experiment with a core group of musical gods that would change my tastes forever. Gentle Giant, Camel, Henry Cow, Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, PFM (Premiata Fomeria Marconi), Genesis, ELP (Emerson Lake and Palmer), Rare Bird, Spirit, Yes, Jethro Tull, Brian Eno, Strawbs, Brand X, Renaissance, Tangerine Dream, all the Gong iterations, Santana, Frank Zappa, Kraftwerk, Patrick Moraz – these guys were saying something, they were crafting music that was at once philosophy and theatre and it spoke directly to me.

It just went on from there because these guys all conspired with other guys and before you knew it things morphed into a huge discography of names and iterations, some far more commercially acceptable and some who took a more artistic tact in the kind of noise they made.

I really grew to love the non-commercial almost anti-melodic, complex, jazz-rock stuff that proved more difficult initial listening.  While everything else in my life was pretty well conventional at least I could radicalize my music.  Stuff like Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Henry Cow and Brian Eno.  There was a litmus test of obscurity that I used back then.  Whenever I put something on in the wrong crowd and there was an immediate uprising, the litmus turned red indicating the desired acerbic response.  I loved this uprising.  It provided an accreditation of some sort.  It fed the hungry pretentiousness that lay deep within.

As the common man and woman went shrieking from the room gripping tightly their ears, I would scream after them how they were giving up the opportunity to listen to the classical composers of the future.  “In three hundred years” I yelled, “do you think they will be listening to Styx, The Cars or even the Rolling Stones”?  “No,” I implored, “it’ll be this complex mass of disjointed notes and noises that will survive”.

Henry Cow – Nirvana for Mice (Please tread carefully here kiddies)

They just shook their heads and looked at me with a blank expression and you could see it in their eyes.  They just couldn’t get it and when I reached this point I was somehow satisfied.  I felt exonerated, special and superior…you know my pretence had become perfectly satiated and I strove on happily.

Van der Graff Generator – Still Life (and tread softly here too)

I’m really just using pretension as an introduction to this.  The pretence was one thing but what ultimately remained was the effect the music had on me.  I can’t in words do justice to the importance that music has had and continues to play in my life.  I don’t think I can explain the emotion that I feel, how I’ve been moved as close to God as possible when a certain part of a certain song is playing.  801’s live version of Brian Eno’s Third Uncle or Van der Graaf’s Still Life or Jethro Tull’s Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day.  I’m moved to tears every time I hear these songs.  It’s inexplicable the sense and feeling that they and hundreds like them arouse.

Jethro Tull – Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day

801’s live version of Eno’s Third Uncle

Maybe this example is analogous to music’s importance or capability.  How is that I can put on Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan’s Night Song, an album that he recorded with Canadian guitarist and producer Michael Brook.  NFAK is a renowned Pakistani Qawwali singer who passed away in 1997.  In some respects he can be considered one of the most popular musicians of all time having played single concerts in Pakistan to over a million people.  Think of that power.  But here’s the analogous part – you take the words of a devotional Sufi singer, singing in Urdu, not exactly my first language, mix it with a contemporary guitar based bed and the music is so powerful that it can take a pasty white Canadian boy and consistently move him to tears.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn – Crest

I remember an interview I heard with Eno, who you may have guessed I pretty well revere.  He was talking about a new art installation he was touring.  It was called 77 Million Paintings.  The idea was that through the use of computer technology he could create random light patterns that virtually created a seemingly infinite palette of brand new art.  No two patterns were ever the same.  He said that his interests were veering away from recorded music because of the static sameness that it inherently possesses.  In this particular instance I’ll have to put aside my reverence and take exception to Eno’s words.  I’m okay with this sameness Brian.  I’ll leave my broad tastes to provide the necessary diversity to the sound.    

I think this is what music is.  It an auditory potion that when appropriately administered allows us to become as truly human as possible.  In no way am I diminishing the other arts, which I believe have similar qualities but unlike visual art, music is ubiquitous and accessible and some of it seems to appeal to just about all of us.  It has that unique ability to make us forget about everything beyond it for a little while, to be enraptured by it, to be calm and meditative.  Maybe music’s the key to world peace.  Idealism sprouts forth from its place of creation – that being art.  How’s that for fucking pretentious. 

Anyway for years I fell prey to the stodginess of pretension and believed the music of my youth was the extent of things.  That the music of today was shit and nobody was doing anything of any worth.  All the while I was inadvertently developing and instilling a love and appreciation for music in the next generation simply through my passion.

Radiohead – All I need

Syd Arthur – Paradise Lost

From a very early age I played and then discussed all kinds of my music with Amelia.  We were in the car often as we drove back and forth to Orleans as per a shared custody arrangement.  I’d throw a disk in and we would talk about the sounds that we were hearing.  How the guitar was disguised as a piano in the background, or how the relevance of the words froze the music in time, or how music and words could somehow come together to provide hope for any number of political situations.

Ray Lamontagne – How Come?

The Tiger and Me – Dangerous Creatures

Little did I realize what it was I was creating?  Amelia has developed a keen ear and strong opinions about what she listens to.  She’s become as passionate about music as I ever was and somehow she would like to end up working in the business.  The best thing though, is how she has opened my eyes to what really is happening in the music scene today.

Beirut – In the Mausoleum

Olafur Arnalds – Only the Winds

The genre blurring, accessibility and ease of recording that’s provided by today’s technology is producing some of the most remarkable and touching stuff I’ve ever heard.  The fact that so much of it is Indy makes it all the more special.  The idea that bands today can cut out the boardroom and create what they truly find creative is so democratic and the Internet as a delivery system grants most of us access.  I won’t venture into, at least not in this post, the complexity of the copyright issues and how these guys will make enough money to keep making their music before being somehow devoured and destroyed by a defunct system.  That’s a really fun and opinionated topic for another day.

Alt-J – Tessellate

Jose Gonzales – Storm


All of this kind of came home to roost over Christmas this year.  We were celebrating with Suzanne’s family and my niece Jasmine out of nowhere started to talk about the influence that I had provided through her life.  Amelia met Jazz when she was three and they grew up like sisters.  Jazz said that her love and understanding of music had come from the time we had all spent together, playing and talking about what we were listening to.  It’s one of the most touching things I’ve ever heard and was a palatable reaffirmation about the importance of cultural evolution and the contributions that anyone of us can make.  Christ it makes we weepy just thinking about it.

3 comments:

  1. Amen Jerry. I so agree with what you've been sharing in this blog. I breathe music. I can not do my art without music, it fuels me and ignites my paintings with what becomes the extension of me. In fact it was a song that touched me so deeply that found me driving to Wallack's to buy a huge canvas. I had not painted before that. I am so grateful for that moment in time.

    I love your comments about Amelia and Jasmine and recently had the same conversation with Dean. When we lived way out in the country I played CDs on the long commute. He remembers sitting in his car seat listening and enjoying. He thanked me for introducing him to "real music". I am proud of his music tastes and have learned much from him about genres I wouldn't normally gravitate to. He received a turntable for Christmas and the other day he walked past me with a Frank Sinatra record under his arm. I love that there are some youth out there that are not content to listen to the 'whatever'. I am also impressed with the new young bands that are following their passion, pushing through and making their way for the love of it.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna, that is so cool the story about Dean. I love the idea of a kid open enough to be checking out Sinatra. Hope things are going great for you. Happy New Year and thanks for reading. We gotta get together one of these days right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Jerry, long over due for a catch up, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete